As summer approaches, the need of an air cooler or conditioner increases as the heat and the humidity combined can make life a living hell during summers. Now the toughest question is which type of air conditioner you want to be installed at your place. There are a lot of factors that will drive your decision, whether you want to go for a window AC or a portable one. Rather than discussing about each and every driving factor, let us go through the advantages and disadvantages of both the types. That will provide a clearer picture to you which may help you in making your decision.
- Being more popular among manufacturers and consumers, they are readily available in the market with a lot of features.
- Efficiency is quite high and noise hazard is minimal in these models.
- Water directly drains from the unit to the exterior without any intervention required.
- Cool air is formed by gushing away the hot air in the room.
- If installed in a planned way, one unit can cool two rooms.
- They can be installed in windows or wall holes.
- Even a small unit can cool up to 100-300 Sq ft of area.
- The window where the AC is installed will remain blocked unless the AC is removed.
- There is no space for storing or controlling the draining water. It can fall on anything, even the poor pedestrian walking under your window.
- It cannot be installed in every type of windows.
- The panels can get over-heated reducing the efficiency.
- No separate installation required that may need expertise.
- Easily moved from one room to another.
- Way cheaper as compared to the windows variety.
- Does not affect the look of you room as it can be placed at your convenience.
- The noise factor is quite high.
- It is cheaper but not economic. Some warm air is also produced with cool air, so to curb the temperature you will need to have more number of air conditioners.
- The water drains into a tank. But you need to remove the tank regularly or this stagnant water will stench the area.
- You will need a larger unit to cool bigger rooms but the larger the unit the harder is the portability.
- However large the portable unit is, it is doubtful that it will be able to cool a significantly large room.
You should by now have a fair idea about the two types of units. Now weigh your option carefully to choose the one best for you and gear up for the summer.
More information at Air Reflect